It has almost been three months already since I arrived here in Copenhagen. Everything is still going well here and I am pretty much used to living here. I am getting to know my way around in the city by bike much better (and know when the traffic lights will turn green). I also had my parents and sister coming over, so I showed them some parts of the city. In exchange I received some new food supplies which are not that easy to get here in Copenhagen, like Dutch peanut butter and some Indonesian spices and ingredients.
To get to know my way around also means speaking the right language: Danish. The Danish government makes it possible to get Danish lessons for free. In coloration with the school it was possible to follow a beginner course to learn Danish. Without hesitation I decided to sign up for this course. I had my first lesson at the end of September and the course will end with a test in the beginning of December. I have two lessons a week and some homework. During the lessons I have learned some of the basics, like my name is (“Jeg hedder”) and how are you doing (“Hvordan går det?”). I still find it difficult to pronounce the words correctly, for example “dd” sounds more like a “l” sound. I cannot rely on my Danish yet, but the beginning is getting there.
In my previous post I mentioned that I just started with my project for school and had my first meeting with the client. By now I have finished my project and presented my final concept for the project to the client. The client was pleased with the result I showed them.
After the first meeting with my client I received my assignment for the project. I had the task to design an accessory that fits in with the drinking of a cup of tea and is aimed at young people. I just went though the design process as I would normally, so first some research to get a better point to focus on, sketching ideas, presenting three concepts and develop one chosen concept further into details. I came up with a sort of tea machine that can be used to make one cup of tea at the time and uses tea leaves instead of the regular tea bag. The product helps to guide people through the right process of making a cup of tea correctly and can be used for multiple sorts of tea leaves.
I presented my process and final concept to the teachers. This presentation also functioned as my exam. The teachers were pleased with the process I went through and the way I presented this. I got a 12 for my first project and a 12 is the maximum score one can get, so I am very happy with my first result achieved at the School of Design.
Next week I will start with a new course that has the focus on theory, so I there will be less to none designing involved.